Toxic to Dogs

Keep in mind that some ‘people’ foods can be toxic to dogs. Since many of the signs of toxicity are similar, consult your veterinarian without delay if your pet appears distressed, listless or in pain. The good news is that, in most cases, treatment for toxic poisoning can be successful if administered in time.

1. Pine Sol –Pine sol has been linked to seizures in dogs and has also been linked to deaths. It contains a chemical, phenol, which is acidic and toxic to animals.

2. Sulfa Drugs –It has been many breeders experience that schnauzers do not do well on this class of drugs. Dogs can become so sick so quickly that an ICU stay may be required to flush out the drugs. A common example is SMZ/TMP or Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim. Please make sure your vet has this information.

3. Tea Tree Oil –While used as a “natural” substance in some shampoos and in other substances, Tea Tree Oil is lethal to dogs. Even licking a treated site may cause severe damage or be fatal.

4. Chocolate: Anything containing cocoa or chocolate should be avoided. This warning extends to chocolate substitutes. Even cocoa shell mulch for your yard can be deadly to dogs.

5. Grapes & Raisins: Though it isn’t clear just what makes grapes and raisins toxic to both cats and dogs, even a relatively small amount can damage the kidneys. Avoid giving bits of cookie or other foods that contain raisins.

6. Garlic, Onions, and Powders: Whether fresh, cooked or powdered, garlic and onions can be toxic to cats and dogs because they can damage red blood cells. Onions are more of a problem than garlic, but both should be avoided.

7. Macadamia Nuts: They are considered toxic to dogs because they tend to cause gastrointestinal upsets, lethargy, vomiting and muscle tremors or stiffness.

8. Mushrooms: Various species of mushrooms are toxic to dogs, and can cause shock and death. Do not feed any type. Pluck “backyard mushrooms” that might sprout on the lawn, as these are known to be toxic to canines. Make it a habit to do a MUSHROOM CHECK weekly or more often – you may save your pet’s life.

toxic dog

9. Xylitol: This is a sugar substitute found in many candies, chewable vitamins, sugarless baked goods, toothpaste and in many sugarless gums. As little as just one or two sticks of gum can kill a small dog. Within 15-30 minutes a dog’s insulin levels will surge and blood sugar levels will drop, resulting in lethargy and loss of balance. Permanent brain damage can occur and without treatment liver failure will result in death within 24 hours. Diabetics that have sugarless baked goods or other sugarless products in the home should keep those products away from the dog. If a dog should ingest a product that contains xylitol call your veterinarian or animal emergency services immediately!!!

10. Other foods: to avoid include raw potatoes, turkey skin, nutmeg and anything with caffeine including coffee grounds and tea. Alcohol and beer should also be avoided as alcohol poisoning can lead to coma and death. Marijuana is toxic to dogs whether from second hand smoke, or from direct ingestion of marijuana.

11. Antifreeze: is well known as being extremely toxic to animals. Because of its sweet taste, animals will lap it up. It will destroy the animal’s kidneys and the pet will succumb to acute renal shutdown – a horrible death. Be careful when walking your dog on paved streets and avoid wet spots that might be antifreeze.



NOTE: These Webpages are provided as information only and do NOT represent Veterinary medical advice. Owners should discuss their pet’s needs with their Veterinarian who will be up to date on current protocols and advances in Veterinary Medicine.